Saturday, August 6, 2011



My name is Cindy, and I am a recovering “control freak”. I decided this year to not be such a control freak. So far this school year (I have only been back to work for 3 official days) I’m doing quite well. For example, I have one extra table in my classroom this year and the bins I use don’t all match because of that extra table. The old me would have gone to the store to buy the matching bin but the new me is not doing it. Is it bugging me? Yes, it's bugging me a little. No, it's bugging me a lot but I’m going to let it go. I am usually very particular about all the things in my class matching. I also bought pencil bags and they are all different colors. I love the math journals that My Second Grade Journal came up with. I’m seriously thinking about having the kids help make them this year. Normally I would do them myself (old me) but I think the kids can handle it (new me).  I still have over 200 days of work left but I think I can maintain it. 

This is my last weekend before school starts. I have a ton of work to do but I’m not going to stress about it. I was completely overwhelmed on Friday to the point where I could no longer function! My school district is implementing a "walk to read" program this year and we were given a brief training on Friday. It was a lot to think about. Fortunately, I am working with a fantastic grade level team and I know between the four of us we will make it work. I also have friends at different grade levels that are wonderful too! I have to admit I am very blessed to work with the people I do because I have learned a great deal from all of them! Thank you school peeps :)

1 comment:

Busy Bees said...

I think being a control freak is a sign of teachers. It is hard to let go of some things, but there are times when my pocket book says stop. It will never matter to the kids that all of the folders are different colors, etc. Glad to see someone else is trying to give up some control. Just found your blog.
BusyBees